- If you are employed in the US you will need a valid Social Security Number (SSN).
- You will receive a receipt from the Social Security Administration at the time of application. Approximately six to eight weeks later you will receive the actual social security number.
- To apply for an SSN you will need a letter from the Office of International Students and Scholars (OISS) and should complete a Form SS-5. Form SS-5 is available on the IRS website at www.irs.gov. [External Site] take both the letter and the Form SS-5 to the local Social Security Office to apply.
- If you are not employed by WVU (for instance only receiving a scholarship
or fellowship with no work or service requirement you are not eligible for a social
security number and you will need to apply for and ITIN (Individual Tax Identification
Number) from the Internal Revenue Service.
- Please reference http://www.socialsecurity.gov/pubs/EN-05-10181.pdf and http://www.socialsecurity.gov/pubs/EN-05-10096.pdf for more precise information regarding Social Security Numbers.