Form 1098-T Tuition Statement Information
For the 2020 calendar year 1098-T forms, WVU has continued to partner with ECSI. The Form 1098-T is for use by either the students or their parents in the filing of their 1040 personal tax return. Each year Form 1098-T for the recently completed calendar tax year will be available on-line starting mid to late January through ECSI at https://heartland.ecsi.net/index.main.html#/access/lookup. Hard copies will be mailed by January 31st to the student’s permanent mailing address as listed in the student’s Star account.
Please note Form 1098-T is a calendar year tax form. Payments are reported based on the date posted to the student’s Star account regardless of the academic or calendar year of the semester. Payments received, including financial aid, for a spring term that is posted in December will be reported on the current year form; while payments posted in January will be reported on the following year Form 1098-T. Note that financial aid for the spring semester 2021 will post as a payment in January 2021.
Prior years 1098-T forms for years 2016 through 2019 are also available on-line through ECSI. If you need a Form 1098-T for the calendar year 2015 or prior, please contact the WVU Tax Services unit directly at email@example.com.
Form 1098-T will not be issued to our international students unless requested by the student. An international student considered a Non-Resident Alien (NRA) for income tax purposes generally is not eligible for the various educational tax credits and/or deductions. The IRS therefore does not require WVU to issue Form 1098-T to international students. If you are an international student and have questions concerning this situation, please contact WVU Tax Services.
Feel free to contact ECSI with questions concerning your Form 1098-T through live chat at https://heartland.ecsi.net/index.main.html#/contactus or at 866.428.1098.
Commonly asked 1098-T Tuition Statement Questions
- Can Form 1098-T be received before the calendar year ends or earlier in January?
- Can WVU email me a copy of Form 1098-T?
- Did WVU send a copy of Form 1098-T to the IRS?
- Is Form 1098-T available on the internet?
- Student Address Change information
- What do I do with a Form 1098-T?
- What if the information on your Form 1098-T is incorrect?
- What is a Form 1098-T?
- When will Form 1098-T be available?
- Why did I not receive a Form 1098-T?
- Are funds that I received under the CARES Act and due to the COVID-19 pandemic included on my Form 1098-T?