Skip to main content
  • Home
  • FAQ's
  • Do I need a Social Security Number?

Do I need a Social Security Number?

  • If you are employed in the US you will need a valid Social Security Number (SSN).
  • You will receive a receipt from the Social Security Administration at the time of application. Approximately six to eight weeks later you will receive the actual social security number.
  • To apply for an SSN you will need a letter from the Office of International Students and Scholars (OISS) and should complete a Form SS-5.  Form SS-5 is available on the IRS website at [External Site]  take both the letter and the Form SS-5 to the local Social Security Office to apply.
  • If you are not employed by WVU (for instance only receiving a scholarship or fellowship with no work or service requirement you are not eligible for a social security number and you will need to apply for and ITIN (Individual Tax Identification Number) from the Internal Revenue Service.
  • Please reference and for more precise information regarding Social Security Numbers.