Skip to main content

Payroll Processing


All International Employees must complete payroll processing through the Tax Services unit located at One Waterfront Place BEFORE they can begin work for West Virginia University.  Processing cannot be completed at any of the remote payroll processing locations on campus.

Additional payroll processing information and forms for International Student Employees are available at:


If you are offered an employment opportunity on campus and have a Social Security card, skip Step 1 and go to Step 2.  If you do not have a Social Security Card please do the following:

1. Request an Employment Offer Letter from the hiring manager. This letter can be downloaded at  This letter should be completed on department letterhead and signed by the hiring manager.

2.  Submit the completed Employment Offer letter to the Office of International Students and Scholars (OISS) located in E. Moore Hall on the downtown campus across from the Mountainlair. The OISS office will then prepare a Letter of Verification for students with an F-1 Visa status.  This letter is not required for students with a J-1 Visa status.

3. You will now need to wait for 5-10 days for your information to become active in the SEVIS system.  Once your information is active you will need to take your Employment Offer Letter, OISS Letter of Verification (for F-1 Visa holders), Passport, Visa, and I-94 Card to the Social Security Administration in the Mountaineer Mall on the Greenbag Road. (See driving and public transportation directions in SECTION 4.)

4. The Social Security Administration office will process your application and provide you with a receipt.

5. Once you have the receipt from the Social Security Administration, you are now ready to process for payroll with Tax Services.  See Step 2.

Important Note:  You will receive your original Social Security Card in the mail within a couple of weeks.  When it arrives please provide a copy of your card to Tax Services.


International Students who already have a Social Security Number or have obtained a Social Security Number Receipt should process for payroll by calling and scheduling an appointment with:             

Tax Services
One Waterfront Place
Phone: (304) 293-3379, ext. 3    

Office hours are 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. Our office is located on the 3rd floor at One Waterfront Place. Your appointment will last approximately 20 – 30 minutes. Walk-ins without an appointment will be processed as time allows.  If necessary, walk-ins may be requested to schedule an appointment for a later time.  Processing is also available at the Mountainlair on Tuesdays from 9:00 a.m. to 1:00 p.m. for students in the Student Employment Office.


1. Passport/VISA

2. I-94 card

3. I-20, DS-2019, I-797A, or an EAD Card

4. Social Security Card OR receipt from the Social Security Administration

5. Detailed listing of all entry and exit dates and Visa status for each of all trips to the United States.

6. Banking documents (US bank) that can be used for direct deposit of your pay check. Select one of the following:

Important Note: 
If you obtain a second on-campus job, you need to contact Tax Services by phone to determine what steps are needed for the payroll process.

The Social Security office will no longer accept spring dated assistantship letters for the fall term international graduate assistants applying for a Social Security card.  Departments should go to and download the form on their own letterhead.  You will also need to report to the Office of International Students and Scholars (OISS) for a second letter and should be ACTIVE in the SEVIS system before applying for a Social Security number.  For questions please phone OISS at 304.293.3519.


Walking or driving directions from the Mountainlair to One Waterfront Place:

From the Mountainlair, travel west on University Avenue to US 19 South. At the intersection of Pleasant Street, University Avenue/US 119 South and the Westover Bridge, continue straight ahead on Don Knotts Boulevard/US 119 South (approximately 6 blocks) to the Warf District. Turn right into One Waterfront Place. (This is directly across from the Waterfront Place Hotel.) There is a paid parking garage attached to the building. (This building also houses WVU Human Resources and the WVU Visitors Resource Center.) Students may also walk the Rail Trail.

Directions for public transportation from the Mountainlair to One Waterfront Place:

Take Mountain Line’s Red Line to the bus depot and then transfer to the Green Line for One Waterfront Place.  For assistance, contact the staff at the Mountainlair Information Desk.

Directions to the Social Security Administration Office from the Mountainlair:

It is located in the Mountaineer Mall (the “old” mall) on the Greenbag Road. From the Mountainlair, travel west on University Avenue to US 19 South. At the intersection of Pleasant Street, University Avenue/US 119 South and the Westover Bridge, continue straight ahead on Don Knotts Boulevard/US 119 South. Pass the Waterfront Place Hotel on the right. Travel straight ahead approximately ½ mile and turn left at the light onto the Greenbag Road/Route 857 North. Travel to the first stoplight and turn right onto the entrance of the mall.  The Social Security Administration is located in the center of the Mall. Bus transportation is also available to the Mall. For details call the Mountain Line at 304-291-7433.

Important Note: This process is for the purpose of employment only. International students that fail to show up for work after getting an Employment Offer Letter could jeopardize their visa status.

Tax Assistance:  Tax Services and OISS offers the Glacier Tax Prep software to assist our International population with their United States Federal tax returns.  These returns are due to the Internal Revenue Service by April 15th each year for the previous calendar year.  Notices will be posted to the Tax Services web site at and sent through the OISS Office as to days, times and locations for demonstrations on how to access the software and prepare your tax return.  This information will be announced late January or early February of each year. This service is free to our International population.