Skip to main content

Can I e-file?

  • If you are a resident alien, you can e-file using one of the popular tax preparation packages or the IRS tax preparation service if you qualify. If you have a complicated tax return, you may need to use a paid tax preparer for assistance but you may be able to e-file that tax return. 
  • If you are a nonresident alien, you cannot e-file. If you do, you may be overstating your deductions and paying less in taxes than you are obligated for as a nonresident alien.