WVU INTERNATIONAL STUDENT PART-TIME EMPLOYEE PAYROLL PROCESSING
All International Employees must
complete payroll processing through the Tax Services unit located at One Waterfront
BEFORE they can begin work for West Virginia University. Processing
cannot be completed at any of the remote payroll processing locations on campus.
Additional payroll processing information and forms for International Student Employees
are available at:
If you are offered an employment opportunity on campus and have a Social Security card, skip Step 1 and go to Step 2. If you do not have a Social Security Card please do the following:
1. Request an Employment Offer Letter from the hiring manager. This letter can be downloaded from our International Students and Scholars Services. This letter should be completed on department letterhead and signed by the hiring manager.
2. Submit the completed Employment Offer letter to the International Students and Scholars Services (ISSS) located in Purinton House on the downtown campus across from the Mountainlair. The International Students and scholars Services (ISSS) office will then prepare a Letter of Verification for students with an F-1 Visa status. This letter is not required for students with a J-1 Visa status.
3. You will now need to wait for 5-10 days for your information to become active in the SEVIS system. Once your information is active you will need to take your Employment Offer Letter, ISSS Letter of Verification (for F-1 Visa holders), Passport, Visa, and I-94 Card to the Social Security Administration located at 3596 Collins Ferry Road Suite 100. (See driving and public transportation directions in SECTION 4.)
4. The Social Security Administration office will process your application and provide you with a receipt.
5. Once you have the receipt from the Social Security Administration, you are now ready to process for payroll with Tax Services. See Step 2.
Important Note: You will receive your original Social Security Card in the mail within a couple of weeks. When it arrives please provide a copy of your card to Tax Services.
International Students who already have a Social Security Number or have obtained a Social Security Number Receipt should process for payroll by calling and scheduling an appointment with:
One Waterfront Place
Phone: (304) 293-3379, ext. 3
Office hours are 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. Our office is located on the 3rd floor at One Waterfront Place. Your appointment will last approximately 20 – 30 minutes. Walk-ins without an appointment will be processed as time allows. If necessary, walk-ins may be requested to schedule an appointment for a later time. Processing is also available at the Purinton House on Tuesdays from 8:00 a.m. to 12:00 p.m.
DOCUMENTS REQUIRED FOR PAYROLL PROCESSING
3. I-20, DS-2019, I-797A, or an EAD Card
4. Social Security Card OR receipt from the Social Security Administration
5. Detailed listing of all entry and exit dates and Visa status for each of all trips to the United States.
6. Banking documents (US bank) that can be used for direct deposit of your pay check. Select one of the following:
- Checking Account
- Voided check
- Typed letter from the bank on bank letterhead with the routing and account number information signed by a bank representative. Employees name must be on letter from the bank.
- Copy of bank statement with routing/account information
Counter checks are acceptable but the name/address must be written at the top left corner of the check.
- Savings Account
- Savings deposit slip with your name and address printed on the deposit slip.
The Social Security office will no longer accept spring dated assistantship letters for the fall term international graduate assistants applying for a Social Security card. Departments should go to International Students and Scholars Services and download the form on their own letterhead. You will also need to report to the Office of International Students and Scholars (ISSS) for a second letter and should be ACTIVE in the SEVIS system before applying for a Social Security number. For questions please phone ISSS at 304.293.3519.
Walking or driving directions from the Mountainlair to One Waterfront Place:
From the Mountainlair, travel west on University Avenue to US 19 South. At the intersection of Pleasant Street, University Avenue/US 119 South and the Westover Bridge, continue straight ahead on Don Knotts Boulevard/US 119 South (approximately 6 blocks) to the Warf District. Turn right into One Waterfront Place. (This is directly across from the Waterfront Place Hotel.) There is a paid parking garage attached to the building. (This building also houses WVU Human Resources and the WVU Visitors Resource Center.) Students may also walk the Rail Trail.
Directions for public transportation from the Mountainlair to One Waterfront Place:
Take Mountain Line’s Red Line to the bus depot and then transfer to the Green Line for One Waterfront Place. For assistance, contact the staff at the Mountainlair Information Desk.
Directions to the Social Security Administration Office from the Mountainlair:
Head north on University ave for 1.8 miles continue straight onto Collins Ferry Road for 1.2 miles.
Important Note: This process is for the purpose of employment only. International students that fail to show up for work after getting an Employment Offer Letter could jeopardize their visa status.
Tax Assistance: Tax Services and ISSS offers the Glacier Tax Prep software to assist our International population with their United States Federal tax returns. These returns are due to the Internal Revenue Service by April 15th each year for the previous calendar year. Notices will be posted to the Tax Services web site at TaxServices.wvu.edu and sent through the ISSS Office as to days, times and locations for demonstrations on how to access the software and prepare your tax return. This information will be announced late January or early February of each year. This service is free to our International population.