Skip to main content

How do I obtain a refund of Social Security taxes?

  • You can only request a refund of Social Security and Medicare taxes that were erroneously withheld. You cannot obtain a refund because you will not vest for benefits.
  • To obtain a refund of erroneously withheld taxes, provide your employer with facts supporting your status as a nonresident alien in F-1, J-1, M-1, or Q-1/Q-2 status. If your employer refuses to refund you the taxes, there is an alternative. You can submit a Form 843 Claim using the procedures for Social Security tax refund claims in IRS Publication 519. Form 8316 is a good supporting document to submit with the Form 843. If the IRS refunds you your taxes, they will notify your employer to adjust their Form 941 for their share of the Social Security and Medicare taxes and to issue you a Form W-2C correcting your Social Security and Medicare wages and taxes.